The greatest goal you can set for this year is to make peace with your life, no matter what your circumstances. These ten powerful insights from Eckhart Tolle will get you started.
2. The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it. Be aware of the thought you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral, which is always is as it is. There is the situation or the fact, and here are my thoughts about it. Instead of making up stories, stay with the facts. For example, "I am ruined" is a story. It limits you and prevents you from taking effective action. "I have 50 cents left in my bank account" is a fact. Facing facts is always empowering.
3. See if you can catch the voice in your head, perhaps in the very moment it complains about something, and recognize it for what it is: the voice of the ego, no more than a thought. Whenever you notice that voice, you will also realize that you are not the voice, but the one who is aware of it. In fact, you are the awareness that is aware of the voice. In the background, there is the awareness. In the foreground, there is the voice, the thinker. In this way you are becoming free of the ego, free of the unobserved mind.
4. Wherever you look, there is plenty of circumstantial evidence for the reality of time - a rotting apple, your face in the bathroom mirror compared with your face in a photo taken 30 years ago - yet you never find any direct evidence, you never experience time itself. You only ever experience the present moment.
5. Why do anxiety, stress, or negativity arise? Because you turned away from the present moment. Any why did you do that? You thought something else was more important. One small error, one misperception, creates a world of suffering.
6. People believe themselves to be dependent on what happens for their happiness. They don't realize that what happens is the most unstable thing in the universe. It changes constantly. They look upon the present moment as either marred by something that has happened and shouldn't have or as deficient because of something that has not happened but should have. And so they miss the deeper perfection that is inherent in life itself, a perfection that lies beyond what is happening. Accept the present moment and find the perfection that is untouched by time.
7. The more shared past there is in a relationship, the more present you need to be; otherwise, you will be forced to relieve the past again and again.
8. Equating the physical body with "I," the body that is destined to grow old, wither, and die, always leads to suffering. To refrain from identifying with the body doesn't mean that you no longer care for it. If it is strong, beautiful, or vigorous, you can appreciate those attributes - while they last. You can also improve the body's condition through nutrition and exercise. If you don't equate the body with who you are, when beauty fades, vigor diminishes, or the body becomes incapacitated, this will not affect your sense of worth or identity in any way. In fact, as the body begins to weaken, the light of consciousness can shine more easily.
9. You do not become good by trying to be good, but by finding the goodness that is already within you and allowing that goodness to emerge.
10. If peace is really what you want, then you will choose peace.
Excerpted from Oneness With All Life, by Eckhart Tolle. Published with arrangement with Dutton, a member of Penguin Group Inc. Copyright 2008 by Eckhart Tolle.
Blessing:In the infinite consciousness itself lives the vision and recognition of the
uncontradicted truth that all life is shrouded by a unique and stable source
of existence. A source enchanted by the Mistress of Creation to rediscover
the "I" of self-awareness. I am born of her movement and appreciation for
a world appearance as Spirit's sparkling depths. In the clearest moments I
know I am an intentional action of universal truth which can never change.
It is this knowledge that empowers me to declare that I am a spark of light
through which cosmic truth shines. I cannot be limited by the countless reflections
that constitute the appearance of the world. I am a Creational Force in human form
that is here to love all that I am afraid of, to look at what I am afraid to look at, and
to send love to that which still scars the soul. As Spirit's celebration and renewal of love it is
now time to honor myself during this human enterprise. I pledge to gift myself my own
divinity, giving expression to that secret essence in the deepness of
my heart. From this inward realm the soul's constitution blesses me with the
remembrance that I am holy and birthed from a place of love and warmth that comes
forth into a livingness that escapes all knowledge of her true form.
My heart is open to the future of a new year and the opportunity to celebrate something
every day! I am God's living definition of something transformed by the recognition of
its own nature. And so it is. Amen.